Tranmere beaten by 10-man, near neighbours Wrexham in a local derby at Prenton Park

Match report from Prenton Park by Ben Chillingworth.

There was a lively start to the game as there were numerous fouls and a yellow card for
Connor Jennings about 5 minutes into the game. There were crosses going into both boxes
but nothing came of it.

The feisty start to the game continued as Sam Wedgbury went into the book as well on 11
minutes. James Norwood attempted a back heel that went inches wide a couple of minutes
later, and then on 14 minutes, the ball broke in midfield and Wedgbury, who had already
been booked challenged Jay Harris with a two-footed tackle. The referee gave the Wrexham
midfielder another yellow card and was therefore dismissed. Wrexham down to ten men.
Jay Harris had a shot deflected on to the post on 18 minutes and an Adam Buxton free kick
went just wide of the post half an hour into the game and the rest of the half played out. 0-0
at the break.

Tranmere came out of the blocks the quicker in the second half as Connor Jennings headed
wide in the first minute of the half. Then in the 53 rd minute, Rovers had the ball in the net as
a short corner routine ended up with a Tranmere player nodding in to the bottom corner,
however, Jack Dunn was offside as he delivered a cross into the penalty area.

A minute later, James Alabi flicked a header wide from the front post just wide of the far
post after a cross from the right-hand side. 5 minutes after that the away side took the lead. A deep Wrexham corner fell to Holroyd on the edge of the box and he fired a shot across goal and it had too much power for Davies who got a hand to the strike. 1-0 to Wrexham.

Loud cheers from the stands greeted Andy Cook who was brought on in place of Jack Dunn
just after the hour mark. A few minutes later a low shot from Harris on the edge of the box
fizzed just wide. Norwood missed a good chance on the right side of the area as he blazed over with 18 minutes left on the clock. And George Wring was introduced about 10 minutes later. A minimum of 10 minutes was added on at the end as a Wrexham fan was injured in the stand resulting in a stoppage for a few minutes earlier on in the game.

Wrexham held on and Rovers now haven’t scored since they beat Barrow 2 weeks ago.

Tranmere: Davies, McNulty, Norburn, Alabi(Waring 84), Dunn(Cook 62), Buxton, Jennings, Ridehalgh, Harris, Norwood, Sutton. Substitutes: Cook, Waring, Hughes, Pilling, Gumbs