Junior Match Report: Tranmere 2-1 Torquay By Josh Woolley

One of our Junior Superwhites graduates reports on Tranmere's 2-1 win over Torquay

Fifth placed Tranmere Rovers faced 16th placed Torquay United at Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon. 

The Gulls made the long journey from the south coast up to the north west following a 3-0 win against Solihull Moors in their last game after captain Kieffer Moore struck three times against the Midlands side.

It was a very cold Prenton Park where the the first few rows of the Lower Kop was closed due to ice. 

In the 6th minute, Portsmouth loanee Ben Tollitt picked up the ball around 30 yards out and drove into the right side of the box then drilled it across the face of goal only for his shot be tipped out for a corner to Rovers. 

Four minutes later and a Scott Davies goal kick was flicked on by Andy Cook who sent Andy Mangan free and the striker rounded the 'keeper but he didn't quite have the final product.

Shortly after, Tollitt drove to the edge of the box and he sent it to Mangan who took it in his stride, opened his body and sent the ball into the corner of the right hand side of the goal to put Rovers ahead.

In the 23rd minute, a long goal kick from Davies was flicked on by Cook to send strike partner Mangan to strike it on the half volley but it was always rising. 

The second half began and it didn't take long for Rovers to double their lead in the 47th minute when Cook played the ball through to Mangan who placed it between Brendan Moore's legs to make it 2-0 to the boys in white.

A short corner by Tollitt was played to Hughes who in turn played it to Ritchie Sutton who then struck it first time only to hit the crossbar. 

In the 63rd minute, Mangan came off to a standing ovation from the Tranmere faithful with James Norwood replacing him.

Dan Sparkes put the ball past Davies to make it 2-1 which disappointed the 'keeper after losing his clean sheet. 

On 86 minutes, Lee Vaughan got taken down so referee Alan Young was left with one option to give Tranmere a penalty kick.

Cook stepped up but then squandered the opportunity of regaining the two goal lead putting his shot wide.