Tranmere v Macclesfield Match Report, by James Sloan

Today Tranmere were looking to win for their third victory in a row, the super whites had recently had a new signing Jeff Hughes who was in the starting line-up, with Ben Tomlinson dropped to the bench. In other team news Matt Hill also made an extension to his contract.

It was only a few days since Tranmere played Macclesfield, Rovers had to look out for the league’s top goal scorer Kristian Dennis who equalised on boxing day against the super whites. There were more than 400 Macclesfield fans at Prenton Park hoping to redeem themselves after the boxing day loss.

Rovers were dominating possession in the early minutes of the first half but didn’t create any threatening chances. Adam Mekki looked the most dangerous in the wide areas taking on the defenders and delivering crosses well,  but the silk men denied the super whites from playing by frustrating Tranmere by staying on the floor after tackles.

In the first half there were two subs for Macclesfield, ten minutes in Jalal the keeper was subbed for Branagan, also Whitaker ran on for Lewis because of an injury. Not long after that a goal for the away side just needed Sampson to tap it in. The disappointed Rovers were fighting for a goal to equalise but could not get one before half time despite the keeper looking uncertain.

The players came on to try and pull off every shot that they could to test the keeper but did not work out for Rovers as Branagan grew more confident and pulled off a brilliant save from a Hughes header. Another header by Hughes was inches wide from a Hill cross and Tranmere started to fight back. Branagan denied Tranmere for the third time by coming off his line and grabbing the ball from Norwood’s boots.

With less than ten minutes left Brabin, Tranmere’s manager brought on Stockton for Mekki, the fresh player managed to get a header on target, but once again Branagan made a fantastic save. Late in the game it was getting intense for Rovers who weren’t taking their chances, until the skipper Jennings smashed the ball high and hard into the back of the net, the fans were going wild until the referee blew his whistle for off side, the fans were angry because it looked like a bad decision.

The referee blew his whistle again for full time the players walked back down the tunnel while the Rovers fans booed off the match officials. After the game the manager sounded disappointed with the result but was happy with the performance and thinks that Tranmere will get back into the top five.