Tranmere beaten by 10-man, near neighbours Wrexham in a local derby at Prenton Park

Match report from Prenton Park by Ben Chillingworth.

There was a lively start to the game as there were numerous fouls and a yellow card for
Connor Jennings about 5 minutes into the game. There were crosses going into both boxes
but nothing came of it.

The feisty start to the game continued as Sam Wedgbury went into the book as well on 11
minutes. James Norwood attempted a back heel that went inches wide a couple of minutes
later, and then on 14 minutes, the ball broke in midfield and Wedgbury, who had already
been booked challenged Jay Harris with a two-footed tackle. The referee gave the Wrexham
midfielder another yellow card and was therefore dismissed. Wrexham down to ten men.
Jay Harris had a shot deflected on to the post on 18 minutes and an Adam Buxton free kick
went just wide of the post half an hour into the game and the rest of the half played out. 0-0
at the break.

Tranmere came out of the blocks the quicker in the second half as Connor Jennings headed
wide in the first minute of the half. Then in the 53 rd minute, Rovers had the ball in the net as
a short corner routine ended up with a Tranmere player nodding in to the bottom corner,
however, Jack Dunn was offside as he delivered a cross into the penalty area.

A minute later, James Alabi flicked a header wide from the front post just wide of the far
post after a cross from the right-hand side. 5 minutes after that the away side took the lead. A deep Wrexham corner fell to Holroyd on the edge of the box and he fired a shot across goal and it had too much power for Davies who got a hand to the strike. 1-0 to Wrexham.

Loud cheers from the stands greeted Andy Cook who was brought on in place of Jack Dunn
just after the hour mark. A few minutes later a low shot from Harris on the edge of the box
fizzed just wide. Norwood missed a good chance on the right side of the area as he blazed over with 18 minutes left on the clock. And George Wring was introduced about 10 minutes later. A minimum of 10 minutes was added on at the end as a Wrexham fan was injured in the stand resulting in a stoppage for a few minutes earlier on in the game.

Wrexham held on and Rovers now haven’t scored since they beat Barrow 2 weeks ago.

Tranmere: Davies, McNulty, Norburn, Alabi(Waring 84), Dunn(Cook 62), Buxton, Jennings, Ridehalgh, Harris, Norwood, Sutton. Substitutes: Cook, Waring, Hughes, Pilling, Gumbs

Tranmere Rovers -v- Barrow FC, by Myles:

On a cloudy Saturday afternoon Tranmere faced off against Barrow FC.  2 minutes in, a Barrow player takes the first injury of the game and received a free kick. After 11 minutes Andy Cook took an amazing shot at goal but sadly missed as it went to the hands of the goalkeeper.

28 minutes saw Barrow player number nine get an injury which resulted in Norwood receiving a yellow card. Unfortunately that caused a fight between players.

After a tense 47 minutes of play, Barrow headed in but was disallowed because he was off-side.

At the 54th minute mark, in a tactical substitution for Andy Cook and Jay Harris, Micky Mellon brought on Jack Dunn and making his Tranmere debut, George Waring.

Midway through the second half the #SuperWhiteArmy found their voice and Tranmere responded by raising their game. On the 75th minute Dunn tricked his way past three Barrow players but the goalie came out and smothered the ball.

Tranmere quickly regained possession and a Norwood cross is headed just wide by Waring. A great strike from Norburn was tipped past the post by Stuart Moore.

Finally  3 minutes into added time, James Norwood slammed an amazing shot into the goal ending the match 1-0!!!

-Myles Edwards TRFC Junior Media Team member

Tranmere Rovers v Boreham Wood, by Evelyn Hignett

On a sunny August Saturday afternoon as 4295 fans watched, the players began optimistically warming up. Micky Mellon made three changes to the team to try and get their second win this season.

In the first half, Mitch Duggan and James Norwood both came close to scoring but at half time the score remained nil-nil. In the second half at 53mins, referee Paul Marsden blew his whistle for a foul by Scott Davis and Boreham scored their penalty taken by Andrade.

At 69mins Boreham Wood scored again by Balanta to make the score for Boreham Wood 2 nil. This drove Tranmere on to boost their confidence and Andy Cook scored in the 82nd minute.

Andy Mangan scored at the very last minute to take the final score to 2 all. Frustrated Tranmere received yellow cards for McNulty, Norburn and Cook. Substitutions were made for Tranmere with Alavi swapped for Cook at 57 minutes, Jennings changed for Mangan at 67 minutes and Hughes came off for Harris at 72 minutes. Interestingly, both goals were scored by substitutes.

In his post match interview, Mickey Mellon said "with 20 minutes to go we showed quality." Clearly disappointed with the referee's decisions, he also said "for the game I love, it wasn't the 22 players on the pitch that dictated the game, it was the ref that made all the bad decisions not the players.

Report written by Evelyn Hignett, Junior Superwhites Media Reporter

Tranmere Rovers v Boreham Wood - by Luke Kavanagh

Saturday 26th August 2017, Prenton Park.

Referee : Paul Marsden.

On a beautiful Saturday bank holidayweekend, Prenton Park and the pitch itself glistened in the sun as Rovers looked to kick start their season with a much needed home win and 3 points.

The teams shook hands and Boreham Wood got the match underway with Rovers attacking the Cowshed end.

The game began with a shaky start by the Rovers and following a mix up by jay McEVELEY on the edge of the area resulting in him losing the ball to the opposing striker,  Scott DAVIES made amends with a fine blocked saved before commandingly smothering the ball.

Spurred on by tremendous support from The Kop's Super White Army and the banging beat of the drums, Rovers began to find their rhythm as they win a corner, ALABI looking first his first goal at Prenton Park narrowly misses a headed opportunity from a RIDEHALGH corner.

A lack of opportunities followwith both sides canceling themselves out in the middle of the park as Tranmere begin to feel their way into the game.

Good build up play down the left results in a great chance for RIDEHALGH on the left handside of the box, but he scuffs his shot and the keeper gathers comfortably.

Rovers finish the half strongly and looking the team most likely to score.

The second half begins with Rovers attacking the Kop end and a moment of controversy quickly takes place as NORBURN skips past a defender and strikes at goal, the ball seems to kiss the cross bar and bounce on the line. A goal mouth scramble takes place with ferious appeals from the Kopas to whether the ball has crossed the lineor whether the ball strikes a Boreham Wood hand as the ball is cleared long into Tranmere's half. A quick counter attack takes place leaving McNULTY exposed at the back, as the attacker races into the box, he goes down and the referree points to the penalty spot claiming contact from McNULTY who also recieves a yellow card.

53mins, ANDRADE steps up to take the penalty and cooly slots home past DAVIES.

Tranmere Rovers 0 - 1Boreham Wood .

Rovers are stunned by the goal and quickly look to level with HUGHES hitting a long range strike which whistles past the post.

Andy COOK comes on to replace ALABI and quickly chases down a loose ball in the area but the ball is cleared, the crowd seem up lifted by the presence of COOK.

MANGAN replaces JENNINGS as Tranmere appear to go all out for an equaliser however with Rovers pushing on in the final third a Boreham Wood midfielder is left with acres of space in the middle of the park as twists and turns the Rovers defence before curling a brilliant shot past DAVIES.

Tranmere Rovers 0 -2 Boreham Wood.

Tranmere respond with some good work down the wings by both DUGGAN and RIDEHALGH as they chase their way back into the game.

HUGHES is replaced by HARRIS as Rovers try to find a way of unlocking a solid Boreham Wood defence.

Lovely work from Tranmere who string several passes together before RIDEHALGH sends a loping cross into the box. COOK rises like a tower and thumps a header into the top corner, GAME ON!.

Tranmere Rovers 1 - 2 Boreham Wood.

Tranmere push on in search of an equaliser and find themselves in the area after a blocked shot by HARRIS, COOK finds himself on the ball and slides a perfect ball across the crowded area to MANGAN who strokes the ball into the net to send Prenton Park into uproar, MANGAN rips off his shirt and runs towards the dug out to celebrate with the manager.

Tranmere Rovers 2 - 2 Boreham Wood.

6 Minutes of extra time are indicated by officials and its Tranmere who c ontinue to press for 3 points following a great comeback. DUGGAN whips a ball into the box from the right in the dying moments of the game and NORWOOD rises to glance a header narrowly wide of the Kop goal.

The referee blows his whistle and Prenton Park applaud the players efforts following a superb second half performance.

Game ends

 Tranmere Rovers 2 - 2 Boreham Wood.

Man Of The Match ( Andy Cook, superb header and changed the game with his physical prescence ).


Starting Xl

1 Davies,3 Ridehalgh, 4 Sutton, 5 Mcnulty (C), 6 Mcevely, 20 Duggan, 24 Hughes (72 ), 11 Jennings (67 ), 15 Norburn,   10 Norwood,  12 Alabi ( 57 ).


25 Pilling, 2 Buxton, 8 Harris ( 72 ), 9 Cook ( 57 ) and 19 Mangan ( 67 ).



Tranmere vs Solihull Moors - Finlay Whiteheard

The referee today is Tom Nield and the two Assistants are Richard Wood and Richard Watson.

The Solihull Moors manager is Liam McDonald


Tranmere kick off towards the Cowshed end with the Kop drums beating and the sun shining.

  • After 4 minutes a silly decision by the referee gave a free kick to Solihull Moors which they missed.
  • After 7 minutes Tranmere have a chance to score which was missed by number 27 Cole Stockton and it hit the bar.
  • On 18 minutes Solihull Moors had a chance to score but also missed.
  • In the 20th minute Tranmere score a goal through Cole “The Goal” Stockton.
  • He doubles the lead in the 25th minute.
  • In the 26th minute Tranmere are awarded a penalty but it is saved by the goalie.
  • Tranmere score again in the 45th minute from Cole Stockton.
  • At half time, Tranmere have scored 3 and Solihull Moors 0 and all off the goals were by Cole Stockton.

Fins Half time comments

Kicking off for the second half towards the Kop End and the Solihull Moors goalie Danny Lewis let 3 goals in during the first half and when the third goal went he was mad with himself

Second half

  • In the 48th minute Connor Jennings scored to the bottom right and the goalie just missed it. Connor Jennings scored his second and Rovers 5th goal after 50 minutes
  • In the 51st minute Cole Stockton is replaced by Andy cook.
  • James Norwood is then replaced by Aaron Collins.
  • After 69 minutes Andy Cook scores the 6th goal for Tranmere
  • Jay Harris is then substituted for Enrico Sousa in the 82nd minute.
  • In the 83rd minute Sousa won the free kick and Liam Ridehalgh scores the goal to make it 7–0.
  • In the 90th minute Connor Jennings sores to make it 8-0.
  • Then desperate to score on his debut Aaron Collins made it 9 – 0 after 92 minutes.

The match finishes Tranmere Rovers 9 - Solihull Moors 0.

What a fantastic game today and we now look forward to Tuesday against Forest Green Rovers… “We’re on our way !!!”.

Today’s Attendance was 5001 with 85 fans from Solihull Moors.

Rovers Run Riot at Prenton Park - Report by Ben Chillingworth

Cole Stockton and Connor Jennings’ hat-tricks help Tranmere to a 9-0 victory to keep the pressure on Lincoln.

Rovers grew into the game after a quiet start for the first 15 minutes. Cole Stockton hit the woodwork with a chip on the edge of the box. However, the deadlock was broken soon after as Stockton headed a James Norwood cross into the roof of the net.

Stockton grabbed his second 5 minutes later with a superb right footed curler on the edge of the area that nestled in the far corner. He had a brilliant chance to get his hat-trick on 28 minutes, Connor Jennings was brought down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Stockton stepped up from 12 yards but his penalty was saved by Lewis in the Solihull goal. He did eventually get his hat-trick however as he slipped a low cross from Liam Ridehalgh under the keeper. 3-0 Rovers half time.

Tranmere were quick to add after the break as Connor Jennings hit a brilliant low shot from 30 yards into the bottom left corner after some sloppy play from both sides in the middle of the park on 48 minutes. Jennings was quick to add his second 2 minutes later as he headed in from a Jeff Hughes’ in swinging corner.

Soon after that goal, Andy Cook replaced Stockton. Stockton receiving a standing ovation for his hat-trick. And just under 20 minutes later, Rovers leading marksman Cook headed home Lee Vaughn’s cross at the back post to move him on to 22 for the season. 6-0 Rovers.

For the next 10 minutes the game played out. Tranmere with all the possession. This didn’t last for long though as Tranmere won a free kick 20 yards out slightly right of centre. Liam Ridehalgh stepped up and curled home a fantastic free kick over the Solihull wall on 84 minutes.

Rovers still looked for more goals, and in the last minute of regular time Connor Jennings grabbed the second hat-trick of the day as he hit a shot, from a tight angle on the right side of the box, with the outside of his boot into the far left corner.

Rovers still weren’t finished as substitute Aaron Collins grabbed a 9 th on his debut for Tranmere with a left footed shot on the edge of the six yard box after some good work from new signing Sousa and Liam Ridehalgh on the left wing.

Tranmere Team:

Davies, Vaughan, Buxton, J Hughes, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Ihiekwe, Harris(Sousa 82), Norwood(Collins 67), C.Jennings, Stockton(Cook 51)


Mekki, Cook, Turner, Sousa, Collins

Match Report By Ewan Maguire

Referee : Carl Evans

Tranmere 2 : Bromley 2

Attendance - 4,425


Tranmeres promotion push suffered a big disappointment on Saturday after letting a two goal lead slip to draw versus Bromley.

A cold afternoon at Prenton Park saw Tranmere start very brightly and create early chances which paid off in the eighth minute when top scorer Andy Cook headed home from the corner.

Tranmere deservedly went 2-0 up when a free kick was whipped in and James Norward flicked it towards goal but Bromley keeper Alan Julian parried it straight to Andy Cook, who tapped it in for 2-0.

Tranmere had to make a defensive change on 32 minutes when Steve McNulty was replaced by Lois Maynard.

Andy Cook had the ball in the net on 43 minutes but the goal was ruled out for a foul on the Bromley keeper.

Tranmere took a two goal lead into the half time break.

On 56 minutes Adam Buxton was sent off for a two footed challenge, which the home fans were furious about.

Bromley were racking up the pressure and their attacking finally counted as George Porter found Brandon Hanlan to tap it in on the 64th minute.

Tranmere felt they should have had a penalty but the referee waved away Tranmeres appeal as the boo’s rang around Prenton Park.

Bromley equalized on the 87th minute by a half volley from Jack Holland to silence Prenton Park.

5 minutes of injury time couldn’t separate the teams and the game ended all square.


Match Report By Luke Armitage (11/02/2017)

Tranmere Rovers  vs  Bromley (H)

Match Report:

Team Sheet, [I] Scott Davies, [3] Liam Ridehalgh, [5] Steve McNulty, [6] Michael  lhiekwe,      [9] Andy Cook, [10] James Norwood, [16] Jack Dunn, [18] Ben ToIlit, [22] Adam Buxton,     [24] Jeff Hughes, [38] James Wallace.


5—The ball gets crossed in, Cook jumps to header it but misses and it falls to Jack Dunn who catches a volley awkwardly and fires wide, 0-0

7—  Tollit runs through 2 men and fires a low shot into a defender Tranmere corner, 0-0

8— Cross comes in Andy jumps and he SCORES! 1-0 right Into the bottom corner!

10—Bit of miss co-ordination from captain McNulty and Davies leaves the ball with Bromley who squander their chance, 1-0

16— Free-kick for Rovers, Jeff Hughes swings it in and it’s flicked on by Norwood and parried by the keeper! GOAL! 2-0 Andy Cook taps it in for his second!

29—Another free kick, this time hit by Jack Dunn! Over the wall and just over the bar, 2-0

32— Captain Steve McNulty being replaced by Lois Maynard due to illness!

40— Cook fouls and Bromley players tremble towards him but James Norwood comes to help, this results in a yellow card for Bromley’s number 7, 2-0

45— Half Time

16.05— Second Half

55—Adam Buxton puts in a risky challenge which results in him getting a straight red card!

59—James Wallace comes off for Jake Kirby because of an injury!

65— Bromley score with a B.Hanlan goal, 2-1

70- Tollit is through and get’s fouled! Not given by the referee though!

76—Jack Dunn comes off injured for Andy Mangan but doesn’t seem as bad as Wallace!

83— Bromley shot agonisingly wide!

84— Another Bromley shot just wide, 2-1

87— Bromley score! Goal by J.Holland!

90— After 5 minutes added on its full-time 2-2 many disappointed Tranmere fans after a terrific first half!

By Luke Armitage [LXA]

Rovers Defeated at Moss Rose

Tranmere Rovers defeated by Macclesfield after leading twice meaning they drop to second position in the National League.

Micky Mellon named the same side that beat Macclesfield on Boxing Day at Prenton Park.

Tranmere started the most lively having most of the possession with the ball in the Macclesfield half. And their good start was credited with a goal on 10 minutes when Steve McNulty headed home Ben Tollit’s near post corner.

The lead didn’t last for long as Lewis had possession of the ball and found himself in too much space and clipped the ball over Scott Davies for a Macclesfield equaliser. Lewis had another chance soon after but the shot was saved by Scott Davies in the Tranmere goal. A few minutes later Norwood had a chance for Rovers that came back off the post as Jeff Hughes failed to get a touch on the shot that would surely have hit the back of the net.

On 37 minutes Tranmere found themselves in front again as Tollit curled a free kick in from the left wing, which caused many problems, Ritchie Sutton had the ball with his back to goal. He turned brilliantly and fired into the top corner. A deserved lead for Rovers going in to half time.

After the restart, the Silkmen came out the blocks quickly and equalised 5 minutes into the second half as Lewis slipped his marker and headed powerfully into the bottom corner for his second of the game.

Then on 70 minutes, after a lot of Macclesfield pressure the ball fell to Danny Rowe who fired a shot into the bottom left corner. A deserved lead for Macclesfield.

Rovers tried to get back into the game but all they could muster was a Ben Tollit effort that went high and wide. However, the hosts wrapped up the points 7 minutes from the end as Lee Vaughn brought down Holroyd and the referee thought it was a foul so he pointed to the spot. Paul Lewis smashed the spot kick into the top corner to grab his hat-trick.


Davies, Vaughan, Ridehalgh, Kirby(Mekki), Norwood, McNulty, Sutton, Tollitt, Mangan(C.Jennings), Hughes, Wallace(Maynard)


S.Jennings, Mekki, C.Jennings, Turner, Maynard



By Ben Chillingworth


Tranmere V York

This is my match report from the fixture of Tranmere v York. The Tranmere captain for this game was Steve McNulty. York won the coin toss and chose to change ends so Tranmere Kicked off the game. Danny Holmes was in the York starting XI he was a ex Tranmere player. It was quite a slow start to the game the ball was getting passed around the back a lot. At one point in the game a corner was awarded to York, as the ball came in Maynard took a knock and had to be subbed off for Jake Kirby. For most of the game the fans were against the referee. The game had a great atmosphere. It appeared that in the first half nor Tranmere or York could find the back of the net. In the second half there was quite a few hand ball appeals early on in the half. In the 65th minute Andy Mangan was subbed for Andy Cook. Andy Cook almost scored with his first touch of the game, he met the ball from a corner kick with his head and the keeper plunged to his left. The fans were not happy with the style of play from Tranmere. The York fans were giving it their all all the way through the game by singing and cheering. In the 90+5 minute James Norwood slammed in a great downward header into the bottom corner right in front of the York fans. The game finished 1-0 to Tranmere which meant they shot to the top of the national league.


By Scott Kelly

Tranmere -v- York, Match Report by Charlie Martin

TRFC: Davies, Vaughan, Mcnulty Capt, Ihiekwe, Harris, Norwood, Sutton, Tollitt, Mangan, Maynard, Hughes.

Subs: Cook, Turner, Kirby, Dawson, Wallace.


York: Letheren, Rooney, Whittle, Fry, Heslop Capt, Klukowski, Parkin, Newton, Moke, Holmes, Murphy

Subs: Connolly, Dixon, Woodland, Rzonica, McDaid


Tranmere looked to continue their unbeaten run by taking on York City who were struggling near the bottom of the league. York City had recently signed John Parkin and Danny Holmes to hopefully restore some pride and a much needed winning mentality to the team. Danny Holmes was making a return to Prenton Park and no doubt wanted to make a good impression.

Before the game kicked off the stadium observed a minuets silence as a mark of respect for the tragic airplane crash whichinvolved team members and staff from the team FC Chapecoense.

The game kicked off with Tranmere kicking towards the Kop, For the first 12-20 minutes the game was mainly played in midfield with Tranmere trying to play their way through York who had clearly set themselves up to be hard to beat whilst offering very little in an attacking threat.

Thirty minutes in Tranmere were hit with an injury to Louis Maynard, Jake Kirby was bought on as a replacement, the first half continued without much change York were holding firm and Tranmere were finding it hard to find the killer pass.

The second half gets underway as the pattern of the first half continues until a mistake in the Rovers defense gives Parkin a chance to lob Davies which goes wide it was apparent that if York were going to score it would be through a defensive error.

On 65 minutes Cook came on to great applause the front two of Norwood and Mangan had got very little change out of the York back four Micky Mellon hoped that Cook would bring the much needed first goal.

The crowd of just over 5000 were still behind the team and willing them forward chances were few and far between and on the 90th minute Micky Mellon rolled the dice one more time and bought on Dawson for Harris.

With time running out and the clock now showing injury time was upon us, the crowd feared it would be two points lost against a hard working York City However Rovers had other ideas.

The ball was fed out to Dawson who carried the ball cleverly into midfield allowing the ball then to be fed to Vaughan who crossed in his usual accurate and dangerous manner perhaps the inclusion of Cook tempted the defense into leaving James Norwood in space and from there he wasn’t going to miss. The ball landed in the back of the net to the delight and relief to the Tranmere Faithful.

Sometimes when your struggling at the bottom of the league you concede late goals if like Tranmere you are pushing for promotion and have players confident in their ability backed by a manager they believe in you score late winners these type of games when teams come to defend need to be won if you’re going to win the league with Micky Mellon in charge these games are now being won.


Report by Charlie Martin-Davies.

Junior Match Report: Tranmere 2-1 Torquay By Josh Woolley

One of our Junior Superwhites graduates reports on Tranmere's 2-1 win over Torquay

Fifth placed Tranmere Rovers faced 16th placed Torquay United at Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon. 

The Gulls made the long journey from the south coast up to the north west following a 3-0 win against Solihull Moors in their last game after captain Kieffer Moore struck three times against the Midlands side.

It was a very cold Prenton Park where the the first few rows of the Lower Kop was closed due to ice. 

In the 6th minute, Portsmouth loanee Ben Tollitt picked up the ball around 30 yards out and drove into the right side of the box then drilled it across the face of goal only for his shot be tipped out for a corner to Rovers. 

Four minutes later and a Scott Davies goal kick was flicked on by Andy Cook who sent Andy Mangan free and the striker rounded the 'keeper but he didn't quite have the final product.

Shortly after, Tollitt drove to the edge of the box and he sent it to Mangan who took it in his stride, opened his body and sent the ball into the corner of the right hand side of the goal to put Rovers ahead.

In the 23rd minute, a long goal kick from Davies was flicked on by Cook to send strike partner Mangan to strike it on the half volley but it was always rising. 

The second half began and it didn't take long for Rovers to double their lead in the 47th minute when Cook played the ball through to Mangan who placed it between Brendan Moore's legs to make it 2-0 to the boys in white.

A short corner by Tollitt was played to Hughes who in turn played it to Ritchie Sutton who then struck it first time only to hit the crossbar. 

In the 63rd minute, Mangan came off to a standing ovation from the Tranmere faithful with James Norwood replacing him.

Dan Sparkes put the ball past Davies to make it 2-1 which disappointed the 'keeper after losing his clean sheet. 

On 86 minutes, Lee Vaughan got taken down so referee Alan Young was left with one option to give Tranmere a penalty kick.

Cook stepped up but then squandered the opportunity of regaining the two goal lead putting his shot wide.

Tranmere -v- Lincoln, Match Report by Charlie Martin

TRFC: Davies, Vaughan C Jennings, S Jennings cap t, Maynard, Hughes,

Subs: Ridehalgh, Mekki, Turner, Stephenson, Kirby

Lincoln, Farman, Wood, Haberghan, Waterfall capt, Rheed, Hawkridge,Beevers,Raggett,Arnold,Bonne,Woodyard

Subs: Muldoon, Power, Marriott, Anderson, Mccombe

The Junior media team set out to interview fans of both teams my group set out to interview the arriving Lincoln fans on interviewing the supporters they were in a confident but nervous mood they said their star player was Matt Rhead. The Tranmere Fans gave the media team a score prediction of 2-1 to Tranmere and where in a confident mood,

Both teams had an amazing start to the season I thought it was going to be a close game Lincolns biggest threat would come from Matt Rhead, and it would be interesting to see how our defense coped with the threat.

The game kicked off with both sets of fans being very vocal, Tranmere had a chance within the first minute involving Jennings Harris and Vaughan also within the first few minutes Rhead and Mcnulty had their first clash the first real attempt on goal for Lincoln was a shot by Bonne which Scott Davies put out for a corner it was clear from early on that Rhead fancied his chances down the left instead of directly contesting the ball with Mcnulty.

Half way through the first half there was a penalty shout as Steve Jennings was pushed inside the box but the ref waved play on some minutes later there was a second penalty shout as Vaughan’s cross appeared to strike the hand of the defender but yet again the ref waved play on as the half drew to a close the game was close Tranmere looked dangerous when playing the ball neatly on the floor compared to Lincoln who seemed happy to hit Matt Rhead with every chance they got, Bonne also looked dangerous feeding off all the scraps Matt Rhead was giving him, on the stroke of half-time the final chance fell to Norwood who headed it off target.

The second half got underway with a substitution Jake Kirby came on to replace Connor Jennings, the first chance of the second half fell to Kirby but the keeper intercepted It. In the first 15-20 minutes Tranmere had massive pressure on Lincoln’s goal this would have been an ideal time to score Unfortunately the ball broke down in mid-field and the long ball by Lincoln found Matt Rhead’s head the cross was met by Bonne who times his run perfectly to the joys of the Lincoln fans they were 1-0 up and they could be heard singing we are top of the league shortly after this Cook was replaced by Darren Stephenson he had an immediate impact as his low shot was saved by the keeper.

Time was running out for Tranmere, Lincoln took off Bonne and was replaced by Marriott. Tranmere then replaced Jay Harris with Adam Mekki as hard as rovers tried they could not break down the resilient Lincoln defense the best chance fell in injury time to Scott Davies who headed narrowly wide from a corner this was the last chance for Tranmere and their 100% home record had gone.

The Lincoln fans headed home happy whilst the Tranmere fans headed home on the back of two defeats, the game was close all the way through Unfortunately Lincoln took their chance well and that was the difference Gary Brabin was disappointed with the second half performance and was adamant they should of had two clear cut penalties in the first half.

Tranmere are now away to York and he will need to pick up his players for the game to get the team back to winning ways

Rovers miss out on play off place - by Ben C

Tranmere miss out on a play off place despite a 1-0 win against Grimsby because of a Braintree win against Altrincham. 

There were two changes to the Rovers starting eleven from the away win at Eastleigh, the week before. Adam Mekki and Martin Riley came into the line-up in place of Steve McNulty and Jake Kirby. 

Tranmere started the game brightly having the lion’s share of possession. Jay Harris’ shot blocked in the thirteenth minute. Two minutes later Grimsby were presented with an opportunity, Jon-Paul Pittman heading over from a Danny East cross. Norwood then had a left footed shot from a tight angle saved at the near post by Warrington in the Grimsby goal. Rovers were then on the counter in the 24th minute, a shot blocked and the ball fell to Jennings who couldn’t miss an empty net from six yards out. 

A few minutes later James Norwood was presented with another chance on the left side of the box but was again saved well by the 40 year old Town goalkeeper. Then in the 37th minute Adam Mekki’s long range attempt fell wide of the goal. The teams went into half time with the score 1-0 to Tranmere. 

There wasn’t much action in the second half until the 58th minute where Mekki’s shot from inside the box was saved well by Warrington. Mekki was later involved again and missed the target from a header, half way into the second half. Grimsby then had a chance to equalise, a Ryan Jennings shot from outside the box narrowly went past Scott Davies’ right hand post. Four minutes before the ninety were up, James Norwood was one on one with the goalkeeper who pulled off a superb save. A minute later Michael Ihiekwe headed wide from Adam Mekki’s cross. 

Apart from a Ryan Jennings attempt for Grimsby, that went wide in the 88th minute, the game played out, finished 1-0 to Tranmere Rovers. Despite the win, play off rivals Braintree, who had to lose to put Rovers in the play-off places, won 3-0 at home to Altrincham. 

Rovers Line Up:

1 Davies
7 Vaughan
15 Riley
4 Jennings
3 Ridehalgh
12 Ihiekwe
17 Mekki
8 Harris
20 J Hughes
11 Maynard
10 Norwood

5 Hogan
9 Taylor-Fletcher
13 Turner
14 Mackreth
23 Kirby

Barrow 3 - 4 Tranmere Rovers - report from Joshua W

A hectic day in Cumbria saw Tranmere Rovers scrape past a disheartened Barrow side .

A strong Tranmere lineup went  ahead after 17minutes sending the travelling Tranmere fans into Ecstatic singing after being loud all game behind the goal and the right hand stand from where I was standing in a little corner . A cross by Matt Hill to the penalty spot Ben Tomlinson was hurled to the ground and one choice for the referee Mr Ryan Johnson pointed to the spot , Adam Mekki picked up the ball and calmly passed it to the bottom right corner to send us 1-0 up !

In the second half Barrow pushed after a poor Tranmere corner sent David Symington straight into the Tranmere half with Mekki behind him he had to play it but it was blocked by Matt Hill only to Andy Haworth who crossed it to the back post were Jason Walker was knocked by captain Steve Jennings , after Barrow fans protesting for 2 minutes he eventually gave it as a penalty which Walker got up and thumped emphatically to the right of the goal .Cole Stockton gave away the ball to  the Barrow fullback who then knocked it over to David Mellor then crossed it to captain Simon Grand in the 82nd who lobbed the header over Scott Davies' head. A long ball along the ground sent through Andy Haworth which he then knocked it on to Jason Walker he then drilled it along the box to Andy Cook on the 6 yard box in the 87th minute and angered the following 476 Tranmere Fans . Because we are Tranmere we never do anything the simple way . When the 3rd goal went in I walked to the seating and went to the toilet ,when  I was washing my hands someone ran in and said "Maynard just scored its 3-2 " when I came out the fourth official put up his board and said 5minutes extra time Stockton and Kirby came on for Maynard and Mekki . Game On!

A wind assisted ball from Scott Davies made its way past the whole team so I thought but a determined Jeff Hughes chased it down and took it past the keeper and in front of the travelling fans made it 3-3 we were back in the game!

Steve McNulty passed it to Lois Maynard who dinked it over the Barrow defence to Steve Jennings who played it back to 'One of our Own' Jake Kirby on the edge of the box took it inside and finessed it to the top left corner after a minor deflection ! At this moment I and 475 others were cheering and basically in shock after abuse hurled at Brabin 10 minutes ago to singing his praises a passionate Tranmere side went straight to boss Gary Brabin and just hugged eachother while half of the Barrow defence lied on the floor . Sue White Army and many others were sung . 

After the match a interview was held with Gary Brabin were he said "we showed real character and fully deserved the victory ."  One fan said this ' This club will be the death of me one day . From all-out meltdown to mind-blowing euphoria in the space of five minutes . Stunned '

A all in all a stressful match but enjoyable couch journey home arriving home at 8:30

Tranmere v Macclesfield Match Report, by James Sloan

Today Tranmere were looking to win for their third victory in a row, the super whites had recently had a new signing Jeff Hughes who was in the starting line-up, with Ben Tomlinson dropped to the bench. In other team news Matt Hill also made an extension to his contract.

It was only a few days since Tranmere played Macclesfield, Rovers had to look out for the league’s top goal scorer Kristian Dennis who equalised on boxing day against the super whites. There were more than 400 Macclesfield fans at Prenton Park hoping to redeem themselves after the boxing day loss.

Rovers were dominating possession in the early minutes of the first half but didn’t create any threatening chances. Adam Mekki looked the most dangerous in the wide areas taking on the defenders and delivering crosses well,  but the silk men denied the super whites from playing by frustrating Tranmere by staying on the floor after tackles.

In the first half there were two subs for Macclesfield, ten minutes in Jalal the keeper was subbed for Branagan, also Whitaker ran on for Lewis because of an injury. Not long after that a goal for the away side just needed Sampson to tap it in. The disappointed Rovers were fighting for a goal to equalise but could not get one before half time despite the keeper looking uncertain.

The players came on to try and pull off every shot that they could to test the keeper but did not work out for Rovers as Branagan grew more confident and pulled off a brilliant save from a Hughes header. Another header by Hughes was inches wide from a Hill cross and Tranmere started to fight back. Branagan denied Tranmere for the third time by coming off his line and grabbing the ball from Norwood’s boots.

With less than ten minutes left Brabin, Tranmere’s manager brought on Stockton for Mekki, the fresh player managed to get a header on target, but once again Branagan made a fantastic save. Late in the game it was getting intense for Rovers who weren’t taking their chances, until the skipper Jennings smashed the ball high and hard into the back of the net, the fans were going wild until the referee blew his whistle for off side, the fans were angry because it looked like a bad decision.

The referee blew his whistle again for full time the players walked back down the tunnel while the Rovers fans booed off the match officials. After the game the manager sounded disappointed with the result but was happy with the performance and thinks that Tranmere will get back into the top five.          




Macclesfield Town 1 vs Tranmere Rovers 2 - by Joshua Woolley

Tranmere Took the lead against a inform Macclesfield side when a tackle by Jay Harris sent through James Norwood who neatly played a quick one two with Lois Maynard then curled it to the far right of the goal but not right enough because it is tipped wide by the keeper Shwan Jalal . From the resulting corner number 24 Steve McNulty  headed in from the penalty spot after an Adam Mekki corner is met by his the big centre half .

In the 15th minute Jay Harris dinked the ball over the Macclesfield defence which sent James Norwood through one on one with Shwan  Jalal who  came to meet the ball but James Norwood lobbed it over his head but sadly it went on the roof of the net. In first half added time Kristian Dennis equalises with a header from a right hand side cross 30 yards out  . Seconds the players went inside to have a team talk , Boos rang around the Tranmere end when the officials went inside because of their poor performance.

At the interval one change was made and experienced Gary Taylor - Fletcher gave way for 29 Ben Tomlinson who is yet to score for us .  A 77th minute corner from Adam Mekki led to a Michael Ihiekwe header to make it 2-1 this sent the traveling fans into the chant of ' sue white army'  . A red card is given to Paul Lewis for simulation which is his second book able offence this means he will miss out on Chester away, the return fixture against Tranmere and Halifax at home  .The attendance was 3037 with 934 travelling fans .

Home Support : 7/10 the Silk Men had parts where there was no atmosphere but average gate for a non league side 

Away Support : 9/10 A great Boxing Day turnout by the SWA with non stop atmosphere.

Match Rating : 5/10 The match was blighted by  poor decision making from the officials with too many cards given .

Ground : 4/10 Moss Road is a non league ground with a non league attendance .

Day as a whole : 10/10 It is always fun a away day especially with the best fans in the world the thing is with Tranmere you can never predict a score but you can always predict a great away atmosphere

Rovers whimper while the Dragons Roar - Tranmere 2 - 4 Wrexham

Another defensively poor Rovers side lose again. But it wasn't an all round poor performance with James Norwood and Adam Mekki showing us their attacking Qualities. 

In the 152nd meeting between Wrexham and Tranmere Rovers Wrexham took the bragging rights in a Big derby .

Wesley York  scored on counter attack in the fourth minute after a lucky bounce form a Tomlinson tackle set Dominic Vose through and pulled it across for Wesley York to fire home. 

Norwood plays through Kirby who is pushed wide but still gets a cross for Grimsby Loanee Ben Tomlinson who smashed it only for Rhys Taylor to make another world class save .

Norwood was taken  down for a Tranmere free kick which Ridehalgh swung  in for the keeper to save it for  a corner. In the process Mekki got injured but came back on. From the resulting corner Norwood curled it  in near post but was cleared out for a Tranmere throw .From that throw Mekki took a amazing long shot  but unluckily for us the keeper was having the game of his life .Wrexham scored again from Dominic Vose firing it into the top right corner in the 44th minute Rovers fans were annoyed and shouting Brabin to pack his bags.

James Norwood fired home after great work from number 11 Lois Maynard who played through James Norwood who smashed it into the roof of the net in the last minute of added time .

 In the 60th minute Michael Ihiekwe was caught in possession and Sean Newton hit the post with a powerful shot hit the post then he was then the quickest to react and followed.  it up to make it 3-1 . 

A 65th minute header from another Wrexham corner sent Tranmere fans into more  anger . Andy Mangan and Adam Dawson replaced Jake Kirby and Ben Tomlinson . This fourth goal triggered Wrexham chants aimed at Gary Brabin, then some glass half empty home fans joined them in song. 

James Norwood worked hard by the corner flag  in the 80th minute and it payed off for him because he got his 2nd of the day .

The end score line was Tranmere 2 Wrexham 4. For the mighty whites something needs to change . And quickly .